By Frank J Casella
Ethics and Integrity
Catholic Men Chicago Southland (CMCS) is about growing in holiness. No matter if it’s our personal life or our business life, when we nurture our spirituality to grow in holiness the most basic benefits are ethics and integrity. Because when we get the person right, then we get the life right.
Our lives are a continual work in progress!
Over my lifetime that I have been involved directly with spiritual men’s movements, including as a third-generation Knights of Columbus, I have seen a lot of good work but have noticed a missing link of (the lack of emphasis) Catholic men inviting Christ to be the center of our lives.
Men’s conferences and meetings from other Faiths I’ve been to usually ended with ‘the sinners prayer’ and how to develop a personal relationship with Jesus, and to be Born Again. And although we receive the Holy Spirit in the Sacrament of Confirmation, Catholic men’s movements mostly focus on subjects such as pornography and bonding as Catholic men to hold each other accountable to our calling, which is important and as we have done too.
The key element I see for Catholic Men, and that I have found to be true since 2004 of CMCS, is to live as a Holy Man. Because I find that it makes you Real. The thing is that good intentions do not transform into right-action. You can’t do the same things and expect a different result.
For example, below are some major points that the CMCS-Team find are the challenges we face today to live as a holy Catholic man:
- The stress on men given the competition between the sexes; confusion of the roles of the sexes in marriage and family.
- A need for solid spiritual and/or religious focus to navigate the confused messages given from the culture about what is right and what is wrong, what we should be teaching our children and how they should be educated.
- A manly spirituality called for each man to understand himself and implement his role as husband and father to be seen as a man of values and morals.
So, if you are a Catholic man seeking motivation to live a deeper holy life, to foster family and Christ as the center of your home and your life, to be an example of goodness in society, and to develop progress and hope for your future, I invite you to take a deeper look at CMCS. To donate your time and your prayers to CMCS.
What you feed your brain is what your life becomes.
Here are some good habits to start with:
1) Make the time to pray ‘A Man’s Prayer’ (PDF) each day. It will transform your outlook on life …. one day at a time.
2) Develop the “Virtues of a Catholic Man“. Start with one Virtue at a time, only then move to the next one. Your goal is to insure Christ is the center of your life.
3) Develop and nurture your most important relationships, your family, and (if you’re married) your marriage. It takes considerably less time to maintain a loving relationship than it does to repair a broken one (PDF).
4) Invite Jesus to show you the way, and watch what happens!! Pray each day and mean it: ‘Lord Jesus, I surrender myself to you, please show me the way’
The name Catholic means universal or Community, so know that you don’t go the journey alone. Keep this in mind:
All local parish men’s groups should stay connected with CMCS. So, have your groups contact us.
CMCS is great for all men no matter where they are in their faith.
CMCS is a great resource for men and Blessing for family men.
Attend our annual gathering, Community is where we connect the dots in our spiritual journey as Catholic men in Chicagoland.
Peace be with you!